PROBUS Club of Durham West
Sharing Our Recipes
CORN CHOWDER AND BIG DADDY BISCUITS
I thought I would send you a quick supper menu that is a nod to celebrating everything Irish. If you can boil potatoes then you can champion this recipe like a 5-Star chef and end up with a hearty, warm and creamy decadent soup. I have been making this soup since the last century and it continues to be one of our absolute favourites. When I say it is a quick supper soup, I mean it can take less than 30 minutes to make once you have the potatoes peeled and chopped. You can buy the bacon bits, microwave or just fry a few extra strips at breakfast and store in the fridge.
I often pair this with home-made biscuits. I have many such recipes but this one is always a winner!
“The Big Guy” is in LOVE with this Corn Chowder Soup and does not have a preferred beverage to recommend… check back next month!
4-5 medium size potatoes, peeled and chopped to bite-size pieces.
1 can mushroom soup
1 can cream corn (Small can for 2 seniors!)
3 cups milk
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
2-3 strips of bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1. Chop enough potato to fill ¼ a medium-sized soup pot. Just barely cover them with water and add 1 tsp of salt. Boil 10-15 minutes.
2. Add mushroom soup, cream corn, milk, bacon bits and pepper.
3. Reduce the heat to simmer and stir often.
4. If you prefer a thicker soup, remove some of the potatoes, mash then return to the pot.
Serve right from the pot on the stove!
BIG DADDY BISCUITS
2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup cold butter
1 cup milk
Heat oven to 425 F.
1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl.
2. Cut in cold, cold butter.
3. Stir in the milk.
4. Turn onto a floured board and press to 1” thick round.
5. Cut in 4 somewhat equal sizes.
6. Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 10-12 minutes.
Serve hot from the oven smothered in more butter!